DUE DATES FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
La Historia Scholarship DUE: Friday, April 28 to Guidance
Bobby Salcedo Scholarship DUE: Monday, May 1 to Guidance
Seek to Achieve DUE: Friday, May 5 to Room 150, submit online or Guidance
PTSA DUE: Friday, May 5 to Guidance
Pink Ribbon DUE: Monday, May 8 to Mr.Escamilla, Room 234
PTSA SCHOLARSHIP 2017
Once again, seniors are being given a great opportunity to apply for a scholarship being offered by our Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA). I would like all of you to apply and submit your application to the guidance office by May 5, 2017. We are very fortunate to have this association work hard all year long and be able to recognize and award students with monetary assistance. This year a total of $30,000 will be awarded to students in scholarships. All you need to do is complete an application, and become a member for $6.00. The application is not difficult to complete. Applications are available in the guidance office or you can download it. If you have any questions, please email me or come by the guidance office.
CA Latino Caucus Foundation Scholarship 2017
The 2017 California Latino Legislative Caucus Foundation Scholarship Program is awarding thousands of dollars in scholarship funds to eligible students accepted into an accredited college or university. The foundation is a charitable, non-profit established to promote and advocate on behalf of the Latino community in California and to educate the public about Latino culture, heritage and issues of importance to Latinos in California.
- graduating high school senior with proof of acceptance to an accredited institution of higher learning
- minimum GPA of 2.5
You must complete an application online and provide necessary paperwork by June 1st deadline.
To apply online, go to:
PINK RIBBON SCHOLARSHIP 2017
PINK RIBBON SCHOLARSHIP 2017
You all have a great opportunity to apply for a very special scholarship being awarded by Mr. Escamilla in honor of his beloved sister, Liz San Roman who passed away from Breast Cancer.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must meet the following prerequisites:
- Provide a copy of an acceptance letter to the 4-year university you are planning on attending in the Fall of 2017
- High School unofficial transcript
Essay Question (select one):
- If cancer has affected you and/or your family, write about your experience.
- Discuss one or two obstacles or hardships you have overcome.
Award Amount: $500 - $1000
Please submit your essay, transcript and letter of acceptance to Mr.Escamilla in Room 234.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Monday, May 8, 2017
AAEDE SCHOLARSHIP 2017
Asian American Economic Development Enterprises, Inc. (AAEDE), a full service 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to economic development for the San Gabriel Valley, would like to announce its annual scholarship opportunity for eligible college-bound graduating high school seniors.
AAEDE recognizes that during this current economic climate, the need for educational funding is greater than ever.
Attached, please find the scholarship guidelines and forms. Three awards of $1,000 each and three awards of $500 each will be available this year.
You must meet the following requirements to apply:
- demonstrate financial need
- Cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 and above
- only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply.
Completed applications may be mailed or dropped off in person, addressed to:
Attn: Scholarship Coordinator
216 W. Garvey Ave., Unit E
Monterey Park, CA 91764
COMPLETED PACKET MUST BE POSTMARKED BY FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2017 BY 5:00 PM
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE SEE MRS.VALADEZ IN GUIDANCE.
LA HISTORIA SOCIETY SCHOLARSHIP 2017
LA HISTORIA SOCIETY from EL MONTE is giving you an opportunity to apply and receive a $100 scholarship.
- Graduating senior who will attend a community college, 4-year university or vocational school in the Fall
- 300-500 word essay about your life in El Monte/South El Monte
- Content: Use place names in the city i.e. people, dates, geographic locations,etc.
Please return your essay with the completed form (copies available in the Guidance office) to Mrs.Valadez in the Guidance office.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: FRIDAY, APRIL 28 by 2:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance or email through school loop.
The BOBBY SALCEDO Memorial Foundation Scholarship 2017
In honor of Mr. Bobby Salcedo, a former student, teacher, and administrator in the El Monte Union High School District, scholarships have been created to provide for qualified students who will continue on with their education.
- High school senior
- Plan to attend a college, university, or vocational school
- 2.5 GPA minimum
The scholarship application must include:
- Completed application
- Copy of official high school transcripts
- 300 - 400 word essay
- One letter of recommendation
- List of contact names and phone numbers for verification of community service/hours
Scholarship Award: $1,000 and $500
Scholarship deadline: Monday, May 1st to Mrs.Valadez in Guidance by 3:00 pm
*See attachment below to download application
*Applications are also available in the Guidance lobby. If you have any questions regarding this scholarship, please e-mail or see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
APPLY, APPLY, APPLY!!!!
Kinecta Scholarship 2017
Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 Kinecta Scholarships. Several scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded to deserving and dedicated students.
- any Kinecta member age 24 years or younger at time of application who is a graduating high school senior applying for, or already accepted as a full-time student at an accredited college or university. Applicant's Kinecta member account must be in good standing (if you do not have an account, you will be given information to open one).
Complete application and return it with the following:
- school transcript
- copies of SAT or equivalent college/university extrance exam scores
- Two letters of recommendation; one from your community service organization and one from your school
- Written essay (minimum 1,000 words) addressing the following topic:
How does your family background affect the way you see the world?
DEADLINE: Completed application and supporting documents must be received by March 5, 2017.
Send completed application package to:
Kinecta Federal Credit Union
1440 Rosecrans Avenue, CU/78
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Attn: Kinecta Community
Application available in the News section.
OCCACC (Orange County Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce) Scholarship 2017
The OCCACC Foundation would like to award students who have succeeded in and outside of the classroom but may not be able to attend college without financial assistance. All seniors who meet the application requirements are encouraged to apply.
Scholarship application requirements:
- student has a need for financial aid
- graduating from a high school in LA county
- will be attending a community college, or a four year university for a year
- must have at least one parent of Chinese descent
- minimum cumulative GPA of at least a 3.5 and a SAT score of not less than 1800 or an ACT of 27.
The application consists of submitting the following:
- completed and signed application
- proof of income and financial need
- recommendation letter
- SAT or ACT score
The OCCACC Foundation will award ten (10) scholars up to (4) year scholarships at $5,000 annually.
Application deadline: February 15, 2017, 5 p.m.
Click on link to download application.
2017 Southern California Association of Governments
Juniors and Seniors:
The SCAG Scholarship Program is designed to offer local government and planning experience that students can use to develop long-term career goals. The scholarship will provide a $4,000 scholarship award for seven high school or community college students from the SCAG region (and potentially an additional eighth scholarship award that is not tied to a specific county, but would be awarded at the Committee’s discretion) and a two-week internship with a local planning agency, council of governments or SCAG. Recipients will also have an opportunity to meet with their local government representatives and practicing planners to discuss the importance of urban planning and a future career in public service.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO:
Southern California Association of Governments
Attn: 2017 SCAG Scholarship Program
3403 10th Street, Suite 805
Riverside, CA 92501
For questions regarding the program, please contact:
Mr. Houston Laney
Scholarship Program Coordinator
Tel: (213) 236-1906
- Residency: Must be a resident within the SCAG region (i.e., Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino or Ventura County, or on Tribal Lands within the SCAG region), and be eligible to work in the United States. Students will be asked to submit proof of eligibility to work in the United States if selected as a semi-finalist.
- School Enrollment: Must be a high school junior or graduating senior, or currently enrolled in a two-year community college in the SCAG region. Graduating seniors must enroll in higher education (two- or four-year college or university) immediately following graduation from high school (i.e., no gap year).
- GPA Minimum: Candidates must have a 3.00 grade point average or higher (based on a 4.00, unweighted scale).
- Internship Requirement: Selected applicants must be available for a two-week (80 hours) internship with a local planning agency (city or county), council of governments or SCAG during Summer 2017. Internship assignments will be located as close as possible to the recipients’ place of residence. All recipients are expected to be available during normal office hours for the duration of the two-week internship assignment.
- Visit to SCAG: Scholarship recipients will be required to attend a Regional Council meeting at the SCAG offices in downtown Los Angeles.
To Apply for the SCAG Scholarship Program, Students Must Submit:
- Completed application form (online or by mail). If sending your application package by mail, do not include the instruction page.
- Minimum five-hundred (500) word essay describing your interest in urban planning, public policy and/or public service and future career goals.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach and/or your employer (that are not related to you) attesting to leadership ability and public service interest.
- Transcript(s) (official or copy) from the school in which you are currently enrolled. Community college students must provide both high school and community college transcripts.
Things to Consider When Applying:
- Application packages that demonstrate an interest in urban planning, public policy and/or public service, and/or intended majors such as urban planning, environmental planning, engineering and/or political science, will be prioritized over application packages that do not.
If you have any questions regarding this scholarship, please see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
Must be postmarked by Friday, April 21, 2017.
2017 Social Justice Scholarship Application
The Latino and Latina Roundtable of the San Gabriel and Pomona Valley are offering a scholarship to seniors who meet the following qualifications:
- Will be attending a community college or university in the fall pursuing an undergraduate degree
- Be a San Gabriel/Pomona Valley resident (South El Monte/El Monte residents apply).
To apply, submit a maximum two page essay and 2 letters of recommendation.
Award amount: $250-500 Scholarship
Scholarship is due: March 5, 2017 and must be submitted directly to the following address:
LRT Scholarship Committee
1798 San Bernardino Avenue
Pomona, CA 91767
If you have any questions, please see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
Application is available in the News section of the Scholarship News page.
Church's Scholars Program
The Church's Scholars Program is awarding $1,000 to eligible students who meet the following criteria:
- Plan to enroll part-time or full-time without interruption for the entire 2017-2018 academic year at an accredited two-year or four-year college university or vocational-technical school in the U.S.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.7
- Be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident of the U.S.
Application deadline is February 15th, 2017.
You can apply on-line at :
If you have any questions, please see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
2017 EDISON SCHOLARS
Edison International is awarding $40,000 College Scholarships (provided over 4 years at $10,000/per year).
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- cumulative gpa of 3.0 or higher
- plan to be a full-time undergraduate student majoring in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer and Information Services, Management Information Systems, Natural Resources and Conservation or Physical Sciences
- demonstrate financial need
You can apply between : December 1- February 1, 2017
To apply, visit:
ASIAN PACIFIC FUND SCHOLARSHIP 2016-2017
THE ASIAN PACIFIC FUND IS PROVIDING SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES RANGING FROM $500 - $20,000. THE FUND ADMINISTERS 13 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS.
YOU CAN APPLY IF YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- INCOMING COLLEGE STUDENT OF ANY ETHNIC BACKGROUND
- MUST PLAN TO ENROLL FULL-TIME IN THE FALL
- MINIMUM GPA OF 3.0
- U.S. CITIZEN OR PERMANENT RESIDENT
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 24,2017
Click on link below for complete criteria of scholarships available
If you have any additional questions regarding this scholarship, please see or contact Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
Shelly Spiegel-Coleman 2017 Scholarship
The Los Angeles County Bilingual Directors' Association is offering $500 scholarships for the 2017-2018 school year.
If you are planning to attend college (community, state, or private college or university) by September 2017 and plan to enroll in courses leading towards a teaching or counseling credential, you need to apply to this scholarship.
You must meet the following requirements:
- submit a completed and signed application
- personal statement of 125 words
- 2 letters of recommendation
- must enroll in college
- submit a copy of 2016 trascript
Application due: Friday, February 17, 2017
Before you submit the application, come by guidance to make sure that the application is complete.
Please see Mrs.Valadez for any additional questions.
You can upload application in the NEWS section.
Tzu Chi Scholars 2017 Scholarship
You have a great opportunity to apply for a scholarship funded by the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation who is recognizing and providing financial assistance to outstanding college-bound high school graduates.
- demonstrates financial need for college tuition
- U.S. high school graduating senior
- minimum GPA of 3.0
- will enroll in an accredited U.S. college full-time for the academic year 2017-2018 (community college or 4-year university).
Award amount: $1,000
Application due: postmarked by March 3, 2017, application can be completed online as well.
To apply, click on link below and it will take you directly to the website to begin the application process. If you have any questions, please see Mrs.Valadez in Guidance.
Follow steps to begin the application process.