SEMHS Mission Statement
We believe in…
- Preparing all students for postsecondary education and the workforce through a rigorous standards-based curriculum and a rich variety of academic and career programs, all supported by technology.
- Guiding students toward challenging goals with support services that encompass academic, career, and social domains.
- Empowering students to thrive in an ever-changing world.
Expected Schoolwide Learning results
PRIOR TO AND UPON GRADUATION, SOUTH EL MONTE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE TO:
APPLY ACADEMIC SKILLS
- Demonstrate mastery of the California Standards/Frameworks for all courses of study.
- Meet state graduation requirements.
- Demonstrate consistent yearly growth in all standardized testing.
- Utilize reading, writing, critical thinking, problem solving, computation, and communication skills in real-world situations.
- Exhibit readiness for postsecondary education, such as meeting a-g requirements.
UTILIZE TECHNOLOGY AS A TOOL
- Obtain computer literacy through technology core classes.
- Use technology to complete assignments.
- Access and critically evaluate information from the Internet.
SHOW RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
- Demonstrate acceptance and respect of individual and cultural differences.
- Value his/her own cultural heritage.
- Recognize the importance of bilingual skills.
- Participate in school and community service.
APPLY CAREER READINESS SKILLS
- Understand the process of goal setting and develop a personal plan for high school and beyond.
- Research and select a career path based on his/her goals.
- Complete Junior Career Research Project, Senior Project and Senior Portfolio.
DEMONSTRATE EFFECTIVE PERSONAL AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Arrive at school and class on time.
- Complete quality assignments and meet deadlines.
- Exhibit a positive attitude.
- Assume personal responsibility, make informed and ethical choices, and evaluate consequences.
- Show respect for people and property.
- Apply key concepts of teamwork.
- Assume leadership roles and accept accountability.
- Develop working relationships across gender and cultural groups.
STRIVE TO BE HEALTHY INDIVIDUALS
- Meet state physical fitness requirements.
- Acquire knowledge and awareness of good mental and physical health.
- Recognize the benefits of proper nutrition and personal hygiene.
- Identify the consequences of drug and alcohol use.